Sunday, January 27, 2008

Recipes and memories. SS Blog challenge.

Food and favorite recipes evoke memories. Often we cling to favorite recipes when the people we associate them with are gone. We use the recipes to bring to the forefront the sweet memories of those we miss. I have a number of foods and recipes that do that for me.

One of my favorites is a recipe called Raspberry Topper. It really is nothing complicated, just yellow cake covered by raspberry jam and a topping of marshmallow cream mixed with whipped topping. While it is tasty, there is nothing overwhelmingly outstanding about the recipe in terms of any culinary greatness. The reason this recipe means so very much to me is that I got it from my grandmother. While Grandma is still with us physically, she is slipping away mentally. Time and age have taken their toll. She will be turning 96 in April. I miss the Grandma of my memories. The Grandma who took my brother and I to her house every summer. The Grandma who played games with us, referried our fights, wiped our tears and gave hugs liberally. The Grandma who taught me some of the funnest card games I know.

I love my Grandma. She is a sweet lady who loved all of her 9 grandkids, 21 great-grandkids and 1 great-great-grandkid to distraction. I cherish my memories of canning, cooking and baking with her. We had so much fun in the kitchen. I can remember making grape juice with her, just hoping nobody got burned and that the juice actually made it into the jars. Man does purple grape juice stain!!

While Grandma is still with us, it is obvious that her time with is slipping away. Her frailty makes her much more vulnerable and the dementia makes it difficult to hold a conversation with her. I miss her as she was, love her for what she has always been and make her recipes to relive the many great memories I have of the time I have had the privilege of spending with her.

I love you Grandma.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful thing to write. I think the cake sounds wonderful. When I make it I will think of you and your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete